In this brief guide, we will address the query, “What is coriander called in India?” We will also discuss where it comes from, how the seeds and leaves of dhaniya differ from each other, and if jeera powder and dhaniya powder are the same. Moreover, we will also describe how to make dhaniya powder and dhania chutney at home.
What is coriander called in India?
In India, coriander is commonly known as dhaniya or dhania. To be more precise, coriander powder is referred to as dhaniya powder, coriander seeds are called dhaniya seeds, and the leaves are simply dhaniya.
This is the Hindi name for coriander. Since India is a multilingual country there are many other names for coriander in different languages.
Where does dhaniya come from?
Dhaniya comes from the plant Coriandrum sativum, a member of the parsley family. It is also commonly known by names such as Chinese parsley or cilantro. The dhaniya powder or ground coriander is made from the dried seeds of the coriander plant.
Many people confuse coriander with cilantro. Usually, the term coriander is used for the spice while cilantro or dhania refers to the leaves. Both the seeds as well as the leaves are widely used in cooking all over the world.
The coriander plant blossoms and produces small white flowers and clusters of tiny seeds. The seeds are harvested and used for spice while the leaves are mostly used for garnish.
How does dhaniya differs from dhaniya seeds/powder
|Appearance||They are leafy green herbs.||They are brownish round seeds that can be used whole or in ground form.|
|Taste||It has a very intense taste with hints of pepper, mint, and lemon.||The seeds have a very nutty and lemony flavor with a floral aroma.|
Dhaniya powder is sweet and aromatic, with a hint of citrus.
|Aroma||They are extremely pungent and citrusy.||They have a floral and a bit of a citrusy aroma.|
|Storage||They cannot be stored for more than 3 days in the refrigerator. To increase its shelf life, wrap it in a plastic bag before storing it.||They can be stored for a few months to a year in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.|
Are jeera powder and dhaniya powder the same?
Jeera powder and dhaniya powder are not the same but they can be often used together in recipes or even mixed in ground form. Jeera powder is the cumin powder while dhaniya powder is ground coriander.
These two spices always go together. You can just mix these two spices and store them for better utilization.
How to make delicious Indian dhaniya chutney at home?
Dhaniya chutney is an easy vegan sauce that can be prepared with limited ingredients like cilantro, lemon, cumin powder, and chilies. ginger, garlic, etc. It is a very popular Indian chutney recipe. Here’s how you can make dhaniya chutney at home:
- Prepare your dhaniya leaves along with the tender stems, chilies, ginger, and garlic by thoroughly rinsing them with water.
- Add one cup of chopped fresh dhaniya, one teaspoon of chopped ginger and garlic each, and 1 chopped green chili. You can add more chilies if you like your chutney extra spicy.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of cumin powder, and a few pinches of salt according to your taste. You can also add chaat masala for extra tanginess.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of water and blend all the ingredients until it forms a smooth paste. Check for the seasonings and your chutney is ready to be served.
How to make dhaniya powder at home?
Dhaniya powder can be easily made at home from coriander seeds. But of course, if you think it’s too much work, you can always get your dhaniya powder from the local supermarket. Let us discuss the process of making dhaniya powder at home:
- Heat a pan at medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander seeds to the heated pan and roast them until they are completely dry and darker in color. Stir them continuously for about 5 minutes. You can determine when the seeds are roasted from their fragrance.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the seeds to a plate and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Now that the seeds are completely cooled, it’s time to grind the roasted seeds. Use a spice grinder to grind them. Make sure you shake the grinder a few times to ensure that the seeds are finely ground.
- Transfer the ground coriander to an airtight container and store it in a cool place for longer storage.
Buy dhaniya powder at amazon here.
Other FAQs about Herbs that you may be interested in.
What is ground coriander used for in cooking?
Are dhaniya and Kothmir the same?
Does coriander taste like cilantro?
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “What is coriander called in India?” We have also discussed where it comes from, how the seeds and leaves of dhaniya differ from each other, and if jeera powder and dhaniya powder are the same. Moreover, we have also described how to make dhaniya powder and dhania chutney at home.